Monday 6 August 2012

THAT BOOK...

Has anyone not read it?  I mean, of course, Fifty Shades of Grey.  I've just come back from Zakynthos where just about everyone on the beach seemed to have a copy - including the Greeks - and I can't believe how many conversations I overheard about it!  I have to say, a LOT of people seemed to be really enjoying it.

I felt compelled to read it - considering it my duty as a writer - and now I feel compelled to give my take on it...

As many others have said, it doesn't need to be 3 books long - there is a lot of waffle and repetition.  I was itching to get out my red pen and give it a good editing!  The hub of the plot, I thought, came along a bit too late and peaked after I'd already lost interest.  The sex... I don't know.  I didn't get turned on by it.  It was very 'samey', with the same terminology used and Ana seemed to be able to come to order... What a lucky girl!

I'm worried that so many women now seem to be in love with 'Mr Grey' as I couldn't really take to him at all, even with the (endless) references to him as a troubled little boy and his unbelievable sexual prowess.  I thought he was frighteningly controlling and I could only wish Ana good luck.  I don't think that marriage will last!

HOWEVER, it probably wasn't quite as bad as I was expecting.  I quite enjoyed the first book and half of the second - and I'm sure I'd have enjoyed the third if I hadn't started to get so sick of the characters.  I managed to like Ana to start with, but I went off her.  She veered between being pathetically wimpy and stupidly head-strong.  I'd also lost interest by then because I was getting bored with the repetitive sex.  I'm a very critical reader as well - I can't deny it - and was also reading it with a slightly envious writer's eye.

If I was E L James, I'd be absolutely thrilled at its success but rather mortified at the un-edited state it went out in.  I am honestly amazed that the professional editors who must have worked on it let so much slip by - words and phrases repeated in the same paragraph and sometimes the same sentence.  Not good!  Also, the cover makes it look a lot more of an intelligent read than it is!

So, basically, reading it is an experience.  I wouldn't describe it as very erotic (unless you never read or write any erotica in which case I'm sure it hits the spot) but I imagine it has distracted and cheered up a lot of readers this summer, which can only be a good thing.

That's just my opinion.  Have you read it?

7 comments:

Claudia Moser said...

No, and I don't think I will, also based on your good critique!

Nancy Thompson said...

I don't think I'll ever read 50 Shades. I need to read something that's very well-written, and from all I've heard, this one simply is not. There is much better erotica out there, so if that's what I want to read, I'll pick something else. Captive in the Dark is a great example of well-written erotica.

Anonymous said...

I haven't read the book and all the things you've mentioned are what I've imagined to be wrong and I hate jumping on bandwagons anyway. Sometimes I cut my nose off to spite my face in that way. I'm glad I didn't cave in this time around though!

Sherry Ellis said...

I read the first book, and absolutely did not like it! I got tired of the repetitive words and phrases, the plot did not interest me, and Ana and Christian completely annoyed me. Needless to say, I didn't read the other two books in the series.

Annalisa Crawford said...

I'm just disheartened by the number of people who never read anything (by their own admission) jumping on this book. Surely there are better books. Okay, non-readers are reading and that's great, but... well, I still think there are better books that just won't get read. The fact it's out-sold Harry Potter (read by kids AND adults) confuses the hell out of me.

I also don't think I'll be reading it - I echo Rebecca's comment actually... bandwagons, noses, faces :-)

Theresa Milstein said...

I haven't read it. All of the talk about it being badly written, not-hot sex scenes, and a controlling guy isn't making me rush to get it. So I won't bother.

Chippy said...

I haven't read 50 Shades... nor do I intend to.

Stopping by on the Post A To Z Road Trip :)

Chippy