Friday 20 April 2012

18. R - Blame It On Rio!


I've always fancied Rio de Janeiro but I've never been and I'm in two minds about whether I ever will, if I'm honest.  It's not just the potential cost of such a trip...

If you've seen the subtitled film City of God, or simply read the news on occasion, you will know that there is a dark side to Rio - a world of slums, hardship, crime and violence.  I know that side of the  city is probably off the tourist route, but it's still there.

Then there's the other Rio; the sunny, beachy, expensive, playground for the rich and famous which features in one of my favourite films from the 80s - Blame it on Rio.  It's one of my favourite films for two reasons: a) it brings back happy memories of watching it with my mum and laughing together and b) it just looks sooooo wonderful!  I can't really recommend the film for the acting (watch it and you will find a very young, slightly wooden Demi Moore playing an older, slightly uncomfortable Michael Caine's daughter) but the location more than makes up for it.  It's a slightly unsettling story that manages to be tender and sad as well as upbeat and very funny.  

Breathtaking Rio by the sea-o!



Has anyone reading been to Rio?  Can you recommend it?  Where did you stay?

3 comments:

Annalisa Crawford said...

I've never been, but it looks so amazing. I'd love to go one day.

Taylor said...

Oh, how gorgeous! No, I have never been. Looks fun, though!
Taylor
(www.thelumberjackswife.com)

Dana said...

I've never been there, but it looks amazing!